Best time to visit Masai Mara National Reserve is an important aspect to consider as you are planning your Masai Mara safari. There is no time like the very time you have to visit the Reserve. For most travellers, the Great Migration is the key aspect they look at when choosing when the best time to visit Masai Mara National Reserve is. If however you can be able to visit the Masai Mara during the Great Migration in Masai Mara National Reserve, there is so much more that the Masai Mara has to offer her visitors away from the Masai Mara National Reserve wildebeest migration. There is no good or bad season to visit the Reserve, you can go to Masai Mara National Reserve anytime of the year and still be rewarded by literally the same Masai Mara safari experiences.
The best time to visit Masai Mara National Reserve is during the months of June to October, the longest dry season in Masai Mara National Reserve. The dry season is the best time to visit Masai Mara National Reserve for wildlife viewing because the grass is thinner then, and animals gather in the available rivers and waterholes thus seeing more almost at once. Travellers after birding safaris in the Masai Mara have the wet season as the best time to visit Masai Mara National Reserve for birding safaris, in the months of November to April which are perfect for the migrating bird species and the breeding season of birds.
Here are the pros and cons of visiting Masai Mara in the two different seasons;
The Dry Season, in the months of June to October
The dry season which is considered the best time to visit Masai Mara National Reserve has the following pros;
- Many animals gather around the rivers and waterholes making it easy to spot them out.
- The months of October to October are the best time to visit the Reserve for the Masai Mara National Reserve wildebeest migration
- Although it is rarely hot, it sunny and dry and thus a perfect time for game drives
- There are large crowds in the reserve than, as so it is in the other Kenya national parks.
- High park fees and accommodation thus high priced Kenya safari prices
The Wet Season in the months of November to May
- There are less or no crowds making Kenya wildlife safaris special in Masai Mara National Reserve
- The skies are clear then free of dust
- The Masai Mara is lush and green, with sprouting flowers
- Variety of animal viewing given there are plenty of resident animals in Masai Mara
- Birding in Masai Mara is best at this time
- Low season rates have travellers getting budget Masai Mara safaris
- Given it is a rainy season, the rains may sometimes interfere with your planned activities.
- Roads may be hard to manoeuvre.
Asides the seasons in times of weather and climate of the Reserve, other aspects do determine the actual period, depending on the traveller’s preferences. Below are some of the “seasons” or times to consider given your particular preference and interests;
The Great Migration in Masai Mara
The Masai Mara National Reserve wildebeest migration is undoubtedly why most travellers visit the Masai Mara. Travellers looking to enjoy the greatest world spectacle should best visit Masai Mara National Reserve in the months of July to October. You shall get to witness one of the most spectacular occurrences in the world, at its best in the iconic Mara River crossing.
Just after the long rains there is abundance of food and water, and a baby boom definitely kicks in just then. With the grass lush and green, herbivores laze around enjoying a meal and along come the big cats, including the lions. The months of January through March are known as the predator season in the Reserve, the best time to visit Masai Mara National Reserve for predator action at its best.
The months of March through May mark the arrival of long rains in Masai Mara, bringing the Masai Mara African savannah to life with landscapes painted in beautiful shades of green, gold among other vibrant colors. The green season is the best time for scenic views and also the best time for birding safaris. If this is something you are interested in, you now know when to visit.
Masai Mara National Reserve is an amazing Kenya safari destination that can be visited all throughout the year. Irrespective of the seasons, and if you have particular interests, get in touch with a reputable tour operator to help you pitch together an amazing Kenya safari visiting Masai Mara National Reserve.